A brief history of the Newtown area hotels, compiled from the Sands Directories. Some histories are incomplete owing to some Directories that are not available at the present time. Hotels are listed in alphabetical order, present hotel name, photo date, film and year reference, address and any known history. Compiled by Jon Graham 28 November 2003. A commentary on the contemporary pub culture is available in the newtown section of the sydney pub guide website (Sydney Council takes no responsibility for that content!)
51 Missenden Road, Camperdown. NSW. 2050. Hotel was established in 1861 as the Grose Farm Hotel and the name was changed to the Alfred Hotel in the 1980s
324 King Street, Newtown. NSW. 2042. Hotel was established in 1880 as the Bank Hotel.
597 King Street, Newtown. NSW. 2042. Corner of Darley Street (late Maria Hotel was established in 1868
Botany View Hotel
19 Albermarle Street, Newtown. NSW. 2042. Hotel was established before 1877.
Carlisle Castle Hotel.
The imported Italian marble bar was installed in the early 1900s
Carlisle Castle Hotel – bar
221 King Street, Newtown NSW 2042 Corner of Hordern Street. Hotel was established in 1869 as the Shakespeare Hotel. The name was changed to the Coopers Arms in the 1990’s.
Coopers Arms Hotel
Australia and Lennox Streets, Newtown NSW 2042 Hotel was established in 1859 as the Kingston Lodge Hotel and renamed the Court House Hotel in 1884.
Court House Hotel
148 Enmore Road, Enmore NSW 2042 Corner of Simmons Street. This Hotel was established in 1878.
Duke of Edinburgh
75 Probert Street, Newtown NSW 2042 This former hotel was established in 1879 at 106-108 Regent Street. The hotel was renamed the Australian Native Hotel in 1901. The hotel closed in the early 1900’s, and the exact year should be able to be ascertained soon when the last Sands Directories are available. Regent Street was renamed Probert Street in the 1930’s
Glass Works Hotel
165-169 Edgeware Road, Enmore NSW 2042. This hotel was established in 1938 and has a heritage listing
Golden Barley Hotel
This is the site of the former International Hotel, established in 1882 and closed at some stage. The present building could have been an hotel.
285 King Street, Newtown NSW 2042. This hotel was founded in 1859 as the Cottage of Content, the name being changed to the Cricketer’s Arms Hotel in 1875. The hotel closed in late 1970’s and a McDonalds opened, closing in the mid 1990’s. Kelly’s On King Hotel opened on 16/09/1999 with the licence from the Royal Edward Hotel, Wilson Street, Newtown.
Kellys on King
129 Probert Street, Newtown NSW 2042 Corner of Kent Lane. This former hotel is listed in the 1858/9 Sands Directory and could have been established earlier. I believe that this building was the hotel, which was closed between 1896 – 1900.
157 King Street, Newtown NSW 2042 Corner of Stephen Street. Hotel was established in 1877 as the Hampton Court Hotel, renamed the Milton Hotel in 1887 and again renamed Kuletos Hotel in the late 1980’s, early 90’s.
145 King Street, Newtown NSW 2042. Hotel established in 1865 as the Daniel Lambert Hotel, the name being changed to the Marlborough Hotel in 1901.
Marlborough Hotel – King St
174 King Street, Newtown NSW 2042 Comer of Watkin Street. Established in 1887 as the Club Hotel, renamed the Rugby Hotel in 1901 and the Newtown Hotel?
Closed in 1997-8, the licence being transferred to reopen Kelly’s On King Hotel. The former hotel has been converted into units.
Royal Edward Hotel
387 King Street, Newtown NSW 2042. Hotel was established in 1870 as the Sandringham Hotel.
199 Enmore Road, Enmore NSW 2042 Corner of Cambridge Street. Hotel was established in 1879 as the Enmore Hotel. It was one of the two Enmore Hotels trading at the time in the Newtown area. The other Enmore Hotel was situated on the corner of Edgeware Road and Camden Street, Enmore. It has been demolished.
Somerset Hotel, Station and Crescent Streets, Newtown, Proposed ground floor plan including yard and outbuildings, proposed first floor and attic floor plans. Signed 15 July 1917 was resumed in 1927 to widen the railway fence. The Somerset Hotel licence was revoked in September 1909 within the Liquor (Amendment) Act 1905 that was established to reduce the number of hotels in various suburbs.
Ex Enmore Hotel, refurbished in early 2000 and renamed the Sly Fox Hotel.
Sly Fox Hotel
631 King Street, Newtown NSW 2042 Corner of Lord Street. Established in 1891 as the Frankfort Park Hotel and was known by various names over the years such as the United Hotel, United Australia Hotel and the St. Peters Inn.
Sydney Park Hotel
This hotel was established in 1879.
Town Hall hotel
190 King Street, Newtown NSW 2042. Corner of Elizabeth Street. This former hotel was established in the 1830-40’s as the Union Inn. In 1882 the name was changed to the Prince of Wales Hotel. The hotel was closed in the mid 1970’s
485 King Street, Newtown NSW 2042. This former licenced hotel, known to be trading in 1963 could possibly be the Sir William Wallace Hotel, established in 1880.
This former hotel was established in 1855 with the licence of the Pigeon House Hotel, later the White Horse Hotel in St. Peters (this hotel is still trading as the White Horse). Sadly the hotel was closed in April 1976.
323 King Street, Newtown NSW 2042 Corner of Eliza Street.
Founded as the Daniel Webster in 1863, the hotel had a name change to the Oxford Hotel in 1875 and in the 1980’s to the Oxford Tavern. According to Paul Dielemans architect Norman Fairfax Nurzey was involved in Art Deco refurbishment work on the hotel c1913. A colour rendered architectural drawing showing the ground and first floor plan, side elevation, elevation, sections and yard plan, was lodged with the licensing court 10 June 1913. [https://www.records.nsw.gov.au/image/9590_62887]. The refurb included exterior cement rendering but the current fluted pilasters, filleted cornices and large winged emblems above arched windows are not featured in the drawing designs. The Hotel was fully refurbished in 2001-2 with an African theme and renamed the Zanzibar Hotel. Now known as Websters.