D

Darley Street in Camden was previously Maria Street. It was named for Sir Frederick Mathew Darley (b.1830) Chief Justice in the NSW Supreme Court and Lieutenant-Governor in the 1890s. Darley married the daughter of Captain Sylvester Brown who built and named Enmore in 1835.

 

Dension St 1930's (ArchivePix)

Dension St 1930’s (ArchivePix)

Denison Streetand Denison Lane in Kingston Ward were formed prior to 1858. Sir William Thomas Denison was NSW Governor from 1855 to 1861, the first after the commencement of responsible government, and actually had the title of ‘Governor-General of New South Wales’. He was a former officer of the Royal Engineers and took an active interest in the new colonial railways. He rode on the test train through to Lewisham on 28th May 1855 and presided at the official opening of the Sydney-Parramatta railway line on 26th September 1855. He frequently disagreed with engineers, proposing that carriages should be pulled over the Blue Mountains by horse at a cost of £4,000 per mile of track rather than by than locomotive at £25-50,000 per mile. However William Randle named his British built ‘0-4-2’ locomotive as the ‘Governor-General’ in Denison’s honour in 1855.

 

Dickson Street in Camden Ward was created when the Dickson family subdivided their Holmwood Estate in 1887. It is believed that James Dickson, 1813-1863 pastoralist, merchant and MLA for Northumberland (East Maitland) purchased Holmwood in 1859 and died here and that David Dickson MLA (?) moved here from Stanmore in 1861.

 

Don Street was formed in Enmore in 1881; see Keig Street.

 

C

Cambridge Street in Enmore was first mentioned in 1865.

Camden Street in Enmore was named in June 1865, and previously known as Bowen’s Lane, Bourne’s lane and Campbell Street. Thomas Holt and the Congregational Church formed a theological college on 12th July 1864 in the house just north of this street. The college was named ‘Camden’ after Robert Bourne’s house which was named after the ship ‘Camden’ on which he came to the colony. Camden Ward was created in March 1886 because the population of Enmore Ward had doubled; see Campbell Street.

Campbell Street in O’Connell was named prior to 1865, but we do not know for whom it was named. John Campbell was a director of the Cemetery Trust, James Campbell was an Alderman and Mayor (according to Lilith Norman), Robert Campbell was one of the colony’s richest merchants and Warden at St Peters Church.

Campbell Street in Enmore can be seen on an 1841 subdivision map and was renamed as Camden Street in June 1865. Robert Campbell, one of the colony’s richest merchants and warden of St Peters Church, owned the land south of it in the 1840s.

Camperdown Road in O’Connell ward appears on the Samuel Lyon’s 1841 subdivision plan of the Camperdown Estate grant. It was renamed as Church Street in 1878. Both it and the original Missenden Road were very narrow streets; see Church Street.

Carillon Avenue in O’Connell was formerly Bligh Street and St. Paul’s Street. Lilith Norman suggests it was named to celebrate the War Memorial Carillon in the University quadrangle tower in the 1920s.

Cavendish Street in Enmore is first mentioned in 1865.

Cecil Street in Camden appears on an 1870s/1880s subdivision map (no N6/167 at the Mitchell Library) crossing Norfolk Street.

Chalder Street in O’Connell ward was given by Thomas Chalder to Council in 1878. Chalder also owned the Marrickville subdivision which gave its name to the suburb which grew up around it.

Chaplin Street in Enmore was not built. It appears on two undated subdivision maps (no N6/229 & 230 at the Mitchell Library) of the Thurnby Estate. The name refers to Thomas Chaplin Breillat 1803-1873 and wife Mary who owned Thurnby here. A merchant and philanthropist, he headed the Sydney Chamber of Commerce. According to the Australian Jewish Historical Society Journal (Vol.II Part IX 1948) he, like Emma Josephson who lived across the road, was descended from Huguenot Jews but converted to the Church of England and a memorial stained glass window at St Peter’s church commemorates his family.

Chard’s Lane was formed between Baltic, Oxford and Bedford Streets in Kingston in 1866. A Mr. Chard lived in Horbury Terrace/Bedford Street at this time, John Chard operated the Shakespeare Hotel on King Street, his surname can still be seen on an 1884 parapet on the main road between Brown and Whately Streets.

Charles Street in Kingston is named for Lieutenant-General Sir Maurice Charles O’Connell (d.1845) and was the southern boundary of the cemetery between Church and Australia Streets. It connected with Lennox Street in 1848; in 1879 the Charles section of the road was renamed as Lennox.

Charles Street in Enmore was formed before 1863, and its proximity to Augustus Street suggests it was named for Sir Charles Augustus Fitzroy, bon-vivant and NSW Governor 1846-56 (?).

Chelmsford St 2009 (Tanit11)

Chelmsford St 2009 (Tanit11)

Chelmsford Street was formed prior to 1863 as Wellington Street. Frederic Napier was Lord Chelmsford and Governor from 1909 to 1913. He attended Newtown’s Golden Jubilee celebrations in 1912.

Chelsea Street in Enmore; following the renaming of a section of Cooks River Road as King Street, Alderman Melville proposed in October 1877 that Enmore Road be renamed Chelsea Street. This referred to ‘Chelsea Villa’ which stood at the time in Simmons Street near Sloane Street. However Alderman Cozens recommended Queen Street instead.

Church Street in O’Connell Ward was previously known as Camperdown Road. It was renamed this in 1878 as there were two churches here (St Stephens and the Baptists) and Newtown Council was engaged in continuing disagreement with Camperdown Council at this time over the drainage alignment of connecting streets and boundaries.

Clara Street in Enmore is shown on a subdivision map (no. N6/37-38 marked ‘1859’ at the Mitchell Library). It was named for the Joshua Josephson’s fifth child Clara Maude Stokes 1846-1897. It is first mentioned in Council minutes in the 1880s and extended to Camden Street in 1885.

College Street in Enmore Ward was formed as part of the 1877 subdivision of the Camden College garden; the college building itself was demolished in 1888.

College Street in O’Connell Ward appears on an early map close to St. Paul’s College but it seems to have been subsumed into the easterly extension of Campbell Street.

Colwell’s Lane which crosses Denison Street in Kingston is first mentioned in 1879. Edward Colwell worked as a Council carter for eight shillings and sixpence per ten-hour day in 1867, increasing to eleven shillings in 1880.

Commodore Street in Enmore was named in 1878 after the original owner’s brother Isaac Josephson (1824-1897) an enthusiastic sailor and co-founder of the Royal Sydney Yacht Squadron at Kirribilli in the 1850s.

Cooks River Road extended from Parramatta Road to Cooks River. It was previously known as Bulanaming Road until the 1820s and informally known as Newtown Road in the latter half of the 19th century. The section between Bligh Street and St. Peters Station was renamed as King Street in October 1877.

Copeland Avenue in O’Connell was formed sometime after 1880 and presumably when the Yarraville garden was subdivided in 1906. Henry Copeland 1839-1904, a mining expert, MLA for Newtown 1882-83, one-time Minister for Lands, Secretary for Public Works for 3 months in 1883, and Secretary for Lands four times between 1886 and 1894. He lived at ‘Yarraville’ between Wilson Street and the rail line in the 1870-80s where he would have had a view of the Eveleigh rail yards. He discussed drainage problems from Wilson Street with Council in 1879 (see Minutes of Newtown Council 21st February 1882). He also owned 14 lots on the eastern side of Burren, which he sold of in April 1900. Alan Sharpe says Copeland clashed with Henry Parkes on the issue of whether the National Art Gallery should open on Sunday.

Council Street appears on the 1939 Lands Department map as the continuation of John Street south of the Illawarra rail line

Cozen’s Lane in Enmore was named for Alderman Richard Cozens in 1885.

Croft’s Lane in Camden is mentioned in 1879 crossing Norfolk Street near Fowler Reserve, and presumably named for William Croft who lived here and operated a hay and corn store shop on the Newtown Road in the 1860s.

Crescent Street in Enmore skirted the south side of the crescent-shaped rail line from the mid 1850s, but was resumed (ie, compulsorily acquired by the Government) to make way for the increased number of railway tracks.

Crescent Lane still exists in Enmore; see Crescent Street.

Crook(s) Lane in O’Connell is a crooked lane running off Church Street (it has what appears to be a two-storey slab wood stable).

Cross Street runs across Metropolitan Road in Enmore and is first mentioned in August 1886.

Curtis’ Lane is mentioned in the Minutes of Newtown Council for 7th May 1878 but cannot now be located.

B

Bailey Street in Enmore was formerly Union Street West and was renamed for Mayor William Bailey in 1878.

Baltic Street in Kingston was formed prior to 1863, and was presumably named by members of the Bligh family in memory of an English naval campaign in the Napoleonic wars (their estate names also included a Copenhagen and Camperdown).

Barden’s Lane is mentioned in the 1882 Minutes of Newtown Municipal Council as being between London and Cambridge Streets in Enmore, but does not appear on later maps. It was named for Mr. E. Barden whose shop was on the Enmore Road/London Street corner and who lived in Cambridge Street at the time. The Barden family came from Sussex in the late 1840s and had a number of hotels in Newtown, Petersham and Tempe; they annoyed Councillor Curtis in October 1864 by leaving their horse and cart (where?)- he ‘thought an example should be made’ to exercise the Council bylaws.

Baldick’s Lane is mentioned in 1879 as crossing Erskineville Road. Stephen Baldick owned property on Newtown Road and Robert Baldick was sexton at St Stephen’s.

Bedford st (Domenic Brigandi)Bedford Street in O’Connell Ward was presumably formed soon after 1855, when the railway was built, and named after the alderman, landowner and baker David Bedford. It originally extended from Australia Street to ‘Station Street North’ until Council bought an area of land and extended Horbury Terrace to connect to it. It was suggested in the 1860s that the approach to the railway from the Kingston side be called North Station Street.

Belmore Street in Kingston is shown on subdivision map no N6/177 at the Mitchell Library, running between and parallel to Denison and Regent Streets. It was named for Somerset Richard, Earl of Belmore, Governor from 1868 to 1872.

Belmore Street was formed in Enmore in 1881 and named for Somerset Richard, Earl of Belmore, Governor from 1868 to 1872. The Countess of Belmore laid the foundation stone for St Stephen’s Church Camperdown on 3rd April 1871.

Bennett Street was formed in O’Connell after 1874, and may be named after Police Staff Sergeant Bennett who was posted to Newtown in 1863, or for Samuel Bennett. The latter Mr. Bennett was part-owner of the ‘Town & Country Journal’ and (with Henry Parkes) the ‘Empire’ newspaper. Until 1873 he lived in ‘Willow Lodge’ which still stands nearby off Wilson Street and is noted in a poem ‘By Cliffs and Sea’ by fellow-Newtownsman Henry Kendall. A subdivision map no N6/240 at Mitchell Library suggests a financial link between Samuel Bennett and Colonial Treasurer Sir Saul Samuels MLA.

Further Information supplied by Ross Williams.

Bennett Street was named in 1905, when it was officially recognised as a street in the Bennett’s Estate sub-division (DP4638). Prior to this it had existed as a private driveway providing access from Queen Street to “Rosebank”, a 2 storey “villa cottage” located at the rear of Lot N of the old Bligh Estate, fronting Wilson Street. The Bennett’s Estate land had been in the Bennett family for over 50 years. Samuel Bennett, had purchased Lot N, of just over an acre and a quarter, from Joseph Frey Josephson, Solicitor, on 9 September 1854 for £500. There were two 2-storey houses on it, “Rosebank”, at the North-West corner and “Willow Lodge”, which still stands, located closer to Wilson Street towards the South East corner. Bennett purchased the 2 smaller lots facing Queen Street some 20 years later. These purchases were probably made to provide separate access to “Rosebank” from Queen Street. Bennett, a Cornishman, was a compositor by trade and had come to the colony in 1841 as a Bounty Immigrant, under contract the proprietor of what was then the Sydney Herald. At the time of the purchase he was still employed at the Herald, supervising the Printing Department. In 1853, having established himself in the Colony, he sent to Cornwall for his now widowed mother and his three maiden sisters. They arrived in June 1854 and Bennett’s need for more space than his 2-storey semi-detached residence in Burke Street Woolloomooloo provided, prompted his purchase of the Newtown property. Bennett lived at “Rosebank”, which became 14-18 Bennett Street after the 1905 sub-division, “Willow Lodge”, at 206 Wilson Street, was probably occupied by his mother and her three daughters. See also the treatise on Samuel Bennett. in Memories.

Bishopsgate (or Bishopgate) Street was formed in O’Connell in 1863. The Council’s minutes spell it as Bishopgate after 1877.

Bligh Street in O’Connell was opened in 1865 and named for the estate’s former owner, Governor William Bligh. Previously it ended at Nelson Street with a ten-foot track called St. Paul’s Street linking St. Paul’s College (1855) and St. Stephen’s Church. Afterwards it was renamed as Carillon Avenue.

Boland’s Corner is the junction of Enmore, Edgeware and Stanmore Roads at Enmore. Patrick Boland owned the Warren View Hotel here in the 1870-80s.

Boundary Street at the western boundary of Kingston was first mentioned in the minutes of 1883 when ‘Moved by Alderman Peirce, “that 12 inch drainpipes with the necessary junctions etc. be laid in Boundary street from rade Street and Albert lane at a cost not exceeding £15”. Seconded by Alderman Neale and carried’ but it does not appear in any of the early maps of those years.

Bourke’s Lane is mentioned in 1884 but its whereabouts and the origin of the name is unknown.

Bourne’s Lane (or Bowen’s lane) in Enmore was renamed as Campbell Street some time prior to the 1860s. It was named after Robert Bourne, who owned the land north of it until selling to Thomas Holt in the 1850s; Robert Bourne was a missionary and on the Sydney College committee in 1844 with Blaxland, Lawson, W. C. Wentworth and Joshua Frey Josephson.

Bowen’s Lane: see Bourne’s lane

Brick Street in O’Connell was part of the 1845 subdivision of Governor William Bligh’s 210-acre Camperdown Estate grant; the area has been used by brickmakers since the 1830s. It was renamed as Victoria Street in 1878.

Briggs Street in Kingston; the paddock near St. Mary Street belonging to Mrs. Briggs was divided and sold on 21st March 1875, leading to a dispute about changing the boundary with Camperdown Municipality.

Brook’s Lane which runs parallel to Australia Street in Kingston ward, was presumably named in 1878 for J. W. Brooks, a local resident. It is spelt as Brooke’s Lane on the 1939 Lands Department map.

Brown Street in O’Connell ward was described as ‘newly opened’ in the Council minutes in early 1883. It ran from opposite Robey Street in Wilson Street to King Street. Robey Street was renamed on 3rd March 1885 when the following motion was moved:- ‘Moved by Alderman Whately, “that the name of Brown Street be substituted for that Street known as Robey Street”. It was named for Stephen Campbell Brown MLA (1829-1882), a resident in Newtown from the late 1850s who lived in ‘Leichhardt Lodge’ from 1867. Brown was solicitor to the Council from 1865, Chairman of the Cooks River Road Trustees, represented Newtown in the Legislative Assembly from December 1864 to November 1881 and was Postmaster-General from then until August 1882, then MLC (?). He was a member of the Church of England, and had 7 children from 2 wives. He was also Vice-President of the Sydney Philharmonia Society in 1865 and a handicapper with the Australian Jockey Club in the 1870s; he is mentioned in the poem ‘The Gagging Bill’ by Henry Kendall (who was resident in Enmore Road in 1867).

Brown’s Lane was mentioned in the minutes of 31st March 1885; see Brown Street.

Bruce Street in Enmore is really a lane running between Station Street and Reiby Street, first mentioned in 1874 and named for Alexander Bruce who owned the land in Station Street just south of Mary Reibey. He may have been a Chief Inspector of Stock (to be checked) and nominated for election to Newtown Council in 1877.

Bruce Street in O’Connell is indicated on the 1939 Lands Department map between Bucknell and Brown Streets.

Buckingham Street in O’Connell was formed prior to 1863 but does not appear on the 1939 Lands Department map.

Buckland Lane in O’Connell runs parallel on the east side of the main road. Thomas Buckland 1814-1896 was a lawyer for the Cooper Estate property at Waterloo flats, Director of the Bank of New South Wales and the Colonial Sugar Refining Company, and also a personal friend of fellow bank board-member Thomas Walker.

Bucknell Street in O’Connell is first mentioned in 1865 but it seems it did not then extend as far down as Wilson Street. Mrs. Catherine Wentworth Hill (nee Bucknell) offered 40 feet of land to enable its extension in 1877. William (and Martha) Bucknell purchased part of the Divine estate between Wilson Street and the railway and were affected by the 1848 land dispute with Bernard Rochford. In 1877 Council asked J. W. Watkin if the Permanent Building Society would give land in order to widen Bucknell Street but it replied asking for compensation to the extent of one-third of its value.

(To see a full account of the Bucknell family history click the ‘Memories’ button at left.)

Bulanaming Road is the early name for Cooks River Road and is marked on Campbell’s copy of a 1789 map. Bulanaming was a name up until the 1820s for that area between Sydney and Cooks River and the Parish of Petersham.

Burren Street is not mentioned prior to 1880; an extension southwards was discussed in 1883 and made in 1886; Alderman George Brock planned an extension northwards to Yaralla Street in 1889. Nicholas Devine was Principal Superintendent of Convicts and received grants in 1794 and 1799 totalling 210 acres and called it Burrin Farm after his birthplace, though it has since been spelt Burren and Burran.

A

Abigail Lane in Kingston. It runs from Campbell Lane to Kent Lane between Denison Street and Regent Street (now Probert Street) behind Abigail Terrace which fronts Denison Street. It would have been named after Alderman Abigail.

Albermarle St 2007 (Joe Latty)

Albermarle St 2007 (Joe Latty)

(or Albemarle) Street follows the ridge line in Kingston and was formed prior to 1863. The most prominent house in the street is at no. 55 which is spelt as Albemarle House; it is not known if the house or the street was named first. Albemarle is a desirable address in London’s Mayfair. The A. H. initials on front gates refer to woolbroker Andrew Hinchliffe whom Mayor Bailey considered an ‘influential gentleman’ and who owned much of Kingston and caused problems in 1879 by closing lanes within his property between Oxford and Wellington Streets. He also owned the woolstore building in Young Street behind Customs House at Circular Quay which also still bears his name.

Albert Street in Kingston ward was formed prior to 1863 and presumably named for the Prince Consort of Queen Victoria.

Albert Street in Camdenville seems originally to have been called Stack Street. The name Albert Street is first known from the Minutes of Newtown Council (8 July 1884), and at some time after this the name was changed to Little Commodore Street. It may have been named Albert after Joshua Josephson’s fourteenth child, born in December 1863.

Alice Street in Enmore was formed by Joshua and Manuel Josephson in 1874 as part of their Camdenville subdivision, and named for Joshua’s ninth child. Alice Cooper Josephson was born in June 1855 and later married W. Edward Wilson (nephew to Premier Alexander Stuart); by coincidence Thomas Holt’s daughter, resident at nearby Camden Villa in the 1850s, was also an Alice.

Alton Lane is directly behind the Town Hall in Kingston and was named in July 1889.

Angel St 1956 (ArchivePix)

Angel St. 1956 (ArchivePix)

Angel Street in Camden was formed in 1873 and may be named for Mr. W. Angel who lived in Forbes Street at that time.

 

Anne Street in O’Connell appears on an 1845 map around the first St Stephen’s Church and was gravelled in 1864.

Augustus Street in Enmore was formed after 1880, and its proximity to Charles Street indicates it was (probably) named for Sir Charles Augustus Fitzroy, bon-vivant and NSW Governor 1846-65.

Australia St 1950's (ArchivePix)

Australia St 1950’s (ArchivePix)

Australia Street in Kingston Ward forms the boundary of the 1790s government grant; Lilith Norman said in 1962 it was named for an ‘Australia House’ of which nothing else is known.

 

Aylesbury Street runs off Missenden Road in O’Connell Ward and was first mentioned in 1863; there is a house with this name built prior to 1863 on the corner of Albermarle and Wellington/Chelmsford Streets in Kingston.