St. John Street in Camden is first mentioned in 1877 and was presumably named for the local Masonic organisation known as the Loyal St. Johns Lodge which was formed in 1844. The minutes in 1877 refer to John Street off White Horse Road but this may be an error.
St. Mary Street in Kingston was formed prior to 1863.
Salvation Lane in O’Connell, first mentioned in 1884, is believed to be Buckland Lane which runs parallel on the east side of King Street. This lane is also known as Judge Lane on the 1880s Higinbotham map.
Salmon Park in Camden was named for Mayor John Salmon in the 1900s.
Sarah Square, near the corner of Missenden Road and Carillon Avenue, was an oval-shaped area of parkland described as a ‘water reserve for the use of purchasers’ in the 1840s O’Connell subdivision. It was fenced and used as a Council depot in the 1880s, and the Newtown Volunteer Corps used it for their drills in 1886. It was reduced to one street width and renamed Solomon Place in the building of the Newtown North Demonstration School and its remodelling as a Teachers College in the 1970s.
Sarah Street in Enmore can be seen on an 1841 subdivision map. It may have been named for Sarah Levey, the stepsister of Joshua Josephson, who was married to Barnett Levey who owned the Theatre Royal in George Street, Australia’s first professional theatre as well as Waverley House (18271904) which gave its name to the municipality.
Sedgwick Lane is mentioned in the Minutes of Newtown Council on 10 June 1884. Dr. William George Sedgwick, mason, lived near the Red House (see page 119 of the Jubilee History) was one the first trustees for the new St Stephen’s Church (9 August 1881) and valued as a vaccinator during the typhoid disease scares of the 1880s (Gledhill says his name was William Gillet Sedgwick)
Short Street in Enmore was opposite the Congregational Church and mentioned in 1865; this is now probably Goddard Street (see extension 12 July 1881).
Short Street is a narrow lane in O’Connell mentioned on 3 October 1882 and needs to be checked.
Simmons Street in Enmore was formed by 1841 and named for Isaac or James Simmons who auctioned the land west of here. James Simmons was an auctioneer/landowner on the Provisional Committee of the Sydney Railway Company, which planned Australia’s first railway in the late 1840s between Sydney and Parramatta.
Sloane Street in Enmore from 1882 (initially spelt ‘Sloan’); London’s Sloane Street is a fashionable street in Knightsbridge.
Smiths Lane appears on the 1939 Lands Department map in Kingston but has not yet been located.
Solomon Place appears on 1930s maps near the corner of Missenden Road and Carillon Avenue in O’Connell. It used to be Sarah Square, but was reduced to one street width, and renamed Solomon Place for Mayor Joseph Solomon some time after 1928.
Soudan Lane was formed after the demolition of Kelly’s Bakery on the east side of the Bucknell Street corner. 750 Australian soldiers were sent in March 1885 to rescue General Gordon at Khartoum in the Sudan (Soudan) Campaign, much to the chagrin of Nicholas Hawken MLA for Newtown who claimed the expedition was illegal. Newtown’s Volunteer Rifle Corps and the Newtown Reserve Infantry were active at this time.
Sparkes Lane W. H. Sparke offered a mortgage to Council in 1876, Charles Sparkes was founder of Newtown Cricket Club, George H. Sparkes JP, born 1843, served in the Imperial Army during the New Zealand wars, came to Sydney in 1870, was Captain of the Newtown Volunteer Infantry/Rifles Corps in the 1880s and later Mayor of Camperdown.
Stanley Street in Kingston was formed after 1880 and renamed as Gilpin sometime after 1922.
Stanmore Road branches off Enmore Road at the western boundary of Enmore Road; Newtown negotiated with Marrickville Council in December 1863 to share the cost of forming it.
Stack Street in Enmore can be seen on Higinbothams 1880s map; see Albert and Little Commodore Streets.
Station Street (Dan Hill)
Station Street in Enmore was formed prior to 1863, north and south of the railway station which operated here from 1855. It is marked as Railway Street on subdivision map no N6/245 at the Mitchell Library.
Stephen Street in O’Connell is a short unusually-curved laneway formed prior to 1858 and named for the first St Stephen’s Church here.
Susan Street in O’Connell was formed prior to 1858 near the first St Stephens Church.