Tuesday 9th of April 1912
Minutes of Ordinary Meeting of the Council held at the Town Hall Newtown on Tuesday 9th of April 1912.
His Worship The Mayor (Alderman Rigg) and Aldermen Clegg, Turtle, Lawler, Cousins, Elstub, Morgan, Macready, Lewis, Smith and Edwards.
An apology was received from Alderman Bamfield.
The Minutes of the previous meeting were read confirmed on the motion of Alderman Edwards seconded by Alderman Lawler and signed.
Letter from the Under Secretary for Lands covering Gazette notice re-the alignment of Gladstone Street and lanes on Thurnby Estate.
Acknowledgement from the Secretary for Railways of Council’s letter re-damage done to Lord Street.
Letter from W Carpenter re-glare from new electric light opposite the E.S. and A. Bank Enmore.
Received and referred to the Lighting Committee for report.
Letter from J M Thrussell asking for 10/-compensation for damage caused through running into a brick in Lord Street whilst riding his cycle. Received.
Letter from P C Ternes asking that Bedford Street be top dressed with tar.
Alderman Turtle moved “That the letter be received and referred to the Works Committee for report.”
Seconded by Alderman Edwards and carried.
Letter from G C Dunoz asking permission to erect an illuminated sign at No 5 Bedford Street.
Received and referred to the Works Committee for report.
Letter from J Archibald asking why he was denied the right of appeal at the Court on the 27th of March.
The Town Clerk explained that the appellant had on his appeal form Valued his property at the same price as that placed on it by the Council and he as Valuer had agreed to these values being confirmed any mistake made had been made by the appellant himself in filling in his Appeal Form.
It was resolved “That the letter be received and the writer informed that the Council cannot interfere in the matter.”
Letter from J Keats asking that his Application for Council’s approval of plan and Specification of Cottages in Phillip Street be reconsidered.
It was resolved that the letter be received and referred with plan and specification to the Works Committee the consideration and report.
The Valuers report of the valuation of all rateable property in the Municipality after Appeal was submitted and disclosed the Values in the four Wards to be as follows:
|W.C.V.||I.C.V.||A.A.V.||Rate at 2¾ pence in the £.|
His Worship The Mayor moved:
“That the Valuers report be received and adopted.”
Seconded by Alderman Morgan and carried.
The Overseers Report
the Overseers report of works completed or in progress during the past fortnight was submitted and recommended as structurally correct
A 2 Cottages in Wells Street for Mr Martin.
B 5 Cottages in Phillip Street for Mr Keats.
C Alterations to Government Savings Bank Enmore Road.
D 1 Cottage in Wells Street for Mr Cox.
It was resolved:
“That the Overseers report be received and plans A C and D approved and Plan B deferred for further consideration.”
the Sanitary Inspectors report as contained on page 177 of the report Book was submitted.
It was resolved:
“That the report be received and the applications for registration mentioned in paragraphs 2 approved.
Motions Pursuant to Notice
Alderman Clegg moved:
“That the Councils of St Peters Erskineville and Darlington be invited to send Representatives to confer with Representatives of Newtown Council as to whether it is expedient and practicable to Amalgamate the before mentioned Municipalities.”
Seconded by Alderman Lewis and carried.
Alderman Elstub moved:
that the tar painted foot path in church Street from Dr Styles to the Rectory be broken up and renewed at an estimated cost £9.
Seconded by Alderman Lewis and carried.
Questions without Notice
Alderman Lawler asked that metal be obtained from the Emu Road Metal Company if the supply from the Government was insufficient.
Alderman Edwards asked that the paths be repaired in Wells Street South side opposite Mr Barrett’s cottage and the grass cleared from various lanes and streets.
Alderman Lewis asked that the main road be sanded earlier in the morning of wet days.
The meeting then terminated.
Confirmed and signed this 23rd day of April 1912.
Signed W. Rigg, Mayor.
23rd of April 1912
Minutes of Ordinary Meeting of the Council held at the Town Hall Newtown on Tuesday 23rd April 1912.
His Worship The Mayor (Alderman Rigg) and Aldermen Clegg, Turtle, Lawler, Cousins, Elstub, Morgan, Macready, Lewis, Smith, Edwards and Bamfield.
The Minutes of the previous meeting were read confirmed on the motion of Alderman Turtle seconded by Alderman Edwards and signed.
Applications from J Gardiner for permission to affix a sign to buildings at corner of King and Egan Streets as the alleged sign was an Advertisement within the meaning of Ordinance 55 it was resolved “That the application be received and refused.”
Letter from the Engineer in charge of Telephone lines intimating that the work of laying the telephone conduits from St Georges Hall to the St Peters Bridge will be completed as expeditiously as possible.
Letter from the Secretary of the Newtown Band thanking Council for £50 being moiety of subsidy for Year 1912.
Letter from the Waverley Council inviting the attendance at a conference re “Greater Sydney” at the Town Hall Sydney on Monday the 29th instant and inquiring how many of the Aldermen may be expected to attend.
Alderman Morgan moved: “That the letter be received and the writer informed that as many of the Members of the Council as possible will attend at least 6 may be expected.”
Seconded by Alderman Elstub and carried.
Letter from the Public Health Department intimating that the 15 samples of milk submitted by this Council the chemical examination on the 3rd instant found to be correct.
The Finance Committee
reported having paid accounts under votes of appropriation since last meeting amounting to the sum of £357.12.10 and recommended payment of accounts amounting to £1040.12.10 and having also paid from the Permanent Improvement Loan Fund Interest on Debit Loans due 1st April 1912 amounting to £630.
His Worship The Mayor (Alderman Rigg) moved “That the Finance Committees report be received and adopted and the Accounts submitted be approved confirmed and paid.”
Seconded by Alderman Bamfield and carried.
The report of a Special Meeting of the Finance Committee was submitted and recommended:
1 That this Council makes application under Section 110 of the Local Government Act 1906-7-8 to acquire the right to exercise the following powers which are necessary for the good government of the Municipality viz:
Section 109 (51) “That the regulation of the internment of the dead with power subject to the Governors approval to prohibit burials in any cemetery or land in any case where such course appears to the Council to be necessary for the prevention of the pollution of any water supply or for the better protection of the health of the residence in the neighbourhood of such cemetery or land.
2 That when such Application is granted further application be made under the provisions of Ordinance 68 requesting that His Excellency the Governor and the Executive Council be moved to apply Ordinance 68 to Cemeteries and burials within this Area.
3 That the foregoing applications be made under the Corporate Seal of the Council.
4 That in accordance with Clause 2 of Regulation 6 the sum of £1189 be now voted from the General Fund to carry out the following works.
A King Street and Enmore Road wood block carriageways top dressed with prepared tar and sand £668.
B King Street tar paved footpaths from Bligh Street to Bridge top dressed £85.
C Regent Street Bedford to Albemarle Streets remetalled and top dressed £120.
D Station Street Bedford to Lennox streets remetalled and top dressed £38.
E Church Street [—] to Rectory taken up and renew footpath West side £9.
F Wells Street Foot paths John Street to Edgeware Road repair and top dress £44.
G Phillip Street footpath eastern side from Enmore Road to Gladstone Street kerb and gutter and brick pave £225.
His Worship The Mayor moved: “That the report of the Special meeting of the Finance Committee be received and adopted and its recommendations be carried into effect.”
Seconded by Alderman Edwards and carried.
The Works Committee
report as contained in paragraphs 1 to 12 Works Committees Report Book Pages 198 to 200 was submitted.
His Worship The Mayor moved “That the Works Committees Report be received and adopted.”
Seconded by Alderman Edwards.
Amendment moved by Alderman Morgan “That the Report be amended in so far as paragraph 2 is concerned and the recommendation in regard to the reconsideration of plan of 5 Cottages (submitted for Approval by Mr Keats) in the Phillip Street Enmore the “That the plan and specification be Approved.
Seconded by Alderman Lewis. The Amendment was lost on the following Division.
For the Amendment: Aldermen Morgan Lewis Turtle Cousins Bamfield and Macready.
Against the Amendment: His Worship The Mayor (Alderman Rigg) and Aldermen Clegg Edwards Elstub Smith and Lawler.
The Mayor gave his casting vote against the Amendment and declared the Amendment lost.
The original motion was then submitted and declared carried.
the Overseer submitted his report of works completed or in progress during the past fortnight.
The Sanitary Inspector
the Sanitary Inspectors report as contained in paragraphs 1 to 4 page 178 of the Sanitary Inspectors report book was submitted and it was resolved “That the Report be received the applications mentioned in paragraph 2 approved and instructions given to prosecute in the case mentioned in paragraph 4.
Confirmed and signed this 7th day of May 1912.
Signed W. Rigg, Mayor.Month: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12