Railway Lane in Camden is found on the 1939 Lands Department map between Thomas and Gowrie Streets.
Randle Street was formed as part of the Pines Estate subdivision of 1887. William Randle was born in 1826 the son of one of the builders of England’s Great Eastern Railway. He arrived in Sydney on 9 July 1852 with his brother-in-law James Wallace who had the job as engineer-in-chief to the semi-private Sydney Railway Company. On 5 August 1852 because of his ‘demonstrated competence and personally winning ways’ he was given the contract to build the railway from Sydney to the village of Ashfield. He ran a series of brickyards along the route to Parramatta. He imported English locomotives and 500 ‘navvies’ in 1853 to supplement the labour force and was given an advance of £1500 to house them. There is an unsourced anecdote that prominent landowner Felix Wilson took offence that Randle’s navvies were hacking up trees in his garden; the ‘personally winning’ young man married Felix Wilson’s 20 year old daughter Ann Elizabeth in 1854. The brickyard and housing for Newtown was presumably on Enmore Road near Station Street. There was also a ‘portable public house’ known as ‘The Russell Arms’. The Sydney Railway Company was progressively brought under government control from 1853 to 2 June 1855 when the railway opened. On 28th August 1855 Randle was given the contract to manage and operate the line for 12 months for 55% of the gross earnings. On 20 November 1856 he commenced construction of the rail extension to Liverpool. He sold much of the Newtown land used in construction on 4th May 1857 in 26 allotments, keeping lots for nine 33-foot wide cottages for himself on the main road between Station and Wilford Streets. This was known as Randle’s and Randell’s terrace until the 1860-1880s. Afterwards he was involved with building the magnificent Long Cove Viaduct, Fort Denison, and some Victorian rail lines but it seems he was insolvent by 1863. William and Ann Elizabeth had children Thomas and Esther. It seems he acted on behalf of the Wilson family up until the selling of their estate in the 1880s. A Mr. N. or W. Randle corresponded with Council in 1866 respecting the state of Forbes Street. He died in England in 17 November 1884.
Raper Street in O’Connell was built on what was known as Raper’s Paddock, Cattleyard and Dairy. It was given to Council by Thomas Chalder in 1878 and was named for landowner Edward Raper JP MLA who lived in Prospect Street at the time. The land around here was associated with the Church of England; Rev Canon Robert Taylor (1834-1907) lived in ‘Raper House’ (which Bruce Baskerville says was at 50-74 Egan Street) and the former Diocesan Architect Edmund Blacket who designed St. Stephens built the rather plain terrace of six houses on the eastern side around 1877 for John Wilson.
Rawson Street in Enmore was formed in 1881 with the name Keig Street; Sir Harry Holdsworth Rawson was N. S. W. Governor 1902-09 (and opened the Dispensary Hall two blocks away) while Sir Dudley Rawson Stratford de Chair was Governor from 1924 to 1930.
Redwin Street appears on the 1939 Lands Department map but its location in O’Connell cannot be found; there was a John Redwin living in Union Street in the 1870s.
Reiby Lane is first mentioned on 22 December 1885; merchant Mary Reibey (1777-1855) purchased the Pencilville Estate for her retirement in 1842 and built Stanmore House for her daughters in 1847-49.
Regent Street in Kingston Ward was formed prior to 1858 and renamed Probert Street sometime after 1939.
Regent Lane still remains in Kingston Ward; see Regent Street.
Richard Street in O’Connell Ward was formed prior to 1863 but was removed in the remodelling of the grounds of the Teachers College in the 1970s.
Roberts Street in Kingston Ward may refer to John Charles Roberts, a solicitor in Cooks River Road in the 1850s, Charles Roberts, Sydney’s Mayor in 1879 or to Henry Robert, (Lord Hampden) N.S.W. Governor 1895-99.
Robey Street ran south of Wilson Street and was first mentioned in 1876, it was later referred to as the ‘continuation of Brown Street’ and renamed as Brown Street in 1885. Ralph Mayer Robey MP (1809-1864) arrived in the colony in 1841 and was a businessman, pastoralist and owner of ‘Linthorpe’ which Christopher Rolleston subdivided. He was also director of the Australian Joint Stock Bank, a part-owner and manager of the Colonial Sugar Refining Company, and a major shareholder in the Sydney Railway Co and the Bank of N. S. W.
Rochford Street in Erskineville is not mentioned prior to 1880; Bernard Rochford is said to have acquired Burren Farm under false pretences from his dieing [sic] employer Nicholas Divine and was the defendant in an 1852 claim, which caused the long-running Ejectment Case. (See Page 86 in the Diamond Jubilee Book for an interesting episode concerning a Mr. Cochrane and the Ejectment Case.)
Rose Street in O’Connell appears on an 1845 map surrounding the first St Stephen’s Church and was gravelled in 1864.
Rosewarne Terrace in Enmore was part of the subdivision of the same name, mentioned in April 1883 and named for Reverend William Rosewarne, a missionary who went to Fiji.
Rumpf Lane in O’Connell was named after 1880. Annie Rumpf arrived prior to 1880, owned the Mount Eagle Iron Works and was a keen supporter of Free Trade/Liberal Party in the 1900s.