Lansdowne and Langdown Street in O’Connell are mentioned in the 1860s Minutes, but perhaps these are in error for Longdown.
Land’s Lane is parallel to Bishopgate Street in Kingston and first mentioned in 1881; it is presumably named for Mr. Land, a valuer with property on Erskineville Road at the time.
Laura Street was formed in the mid 1870s as part of the Camdenville subdivision and named after Joshua Josephson’s eighth child, Laura Bowyer who was born in November 1852.
L’Avenue in O’Connell, known as Kettle Avenue circa 1887, was formed by Alderman George Brock early in the 1890s, it was sometimes called La Avenue; it was resumed in 1912 and renamed as Warren Ball Avenue by 1922.
Leamington Avenue is part of the Pines Estate subdivision offered in 1887; its former owner John Fairfax (1804-1877) commenced his newspaper publishing career in the fashionable spa town of Leamington Springs in Warwickshire England in the 1820s. He lived in Macquarie Street and Ginaghulla on Bellevue Hill, and despite the rumour is not known to have lived in ‘The Retreat’ in Burren Street Macdonaldtown.
Lennox Street in Kingston Ward was formed prior to 1863 and extended eastward covering Charles Street in 1879.
Liberty Street in Kingston was formed prior to 1863. Local legend says its name arose from people diverting here to avoid the threepenny toll for users of Cooks River Road. The St Josephs church history tells an anecdote of a certain judge who ‘took almost childish delight in avoiding payment ‘by driving through the pool that formed the boundary of the road’ and then names Judges Forster, Josephson, Meynott and Attorney-General Therry.
Linthorpe Street in O’Connell was created as part of the 1873 subdivision of the Linthorpe Estate. Ralph Mayer Robey was one of the original owners. Linthorpe Lane was created at the same time and later extended northerly to Brown Street from the point where it is now slightly out of alignment.
Little Commodore Street was created in 1884(?) in Enmore and was previously Albert Street and before that Stack Street (see Commodore Street, and the Minutes of Newtown Council for 8th July 1884, 11th May 1886).
Little Queen Street: see Nelson.
Longdown Street in O’Connell is first mentioned in 1866.
London Street in Enmore is first mentioned in 1869.
Lord Street in Camden was named for John Lord, owner of the Bello Retiro estate here, a trustee of St Peter’s Church, merchant and importer. In 1838 he was involved in the campaign to import Indian coolies to replace English convicts.
Lynch Street in Enmore was previously called Harrow Road and can be seen on an 1841 subdivision map (see David Lynch 4th Sept 1883, 22nd July 1884, 2nd January 1889).
Lower Simmons Street in Enmore was formed in 1880 as part of the Ferndale estate but subsumed as Simmons in 1882; see Simmons.