Council Chambers 14th July 1874.
Present the Mayor and Aldermen Henderson, Bedford, Smith, Conley, Goodsell and Fallick.
The minutes of previous meeting read, and confirmed on the motion of Alderman Conley and Bedford.
1. Letter from the General Post Office informing the Council that Mr Samuel has caused arrangements to be made for the delivery of letters etc. within the whole boundary of the Municipality.
2. From the owners of land adjoining a lane at the rear of premises occupied by Mr Earls asking the Council to take charge of the lane for the use of the public. Moved by Alderman Smith, seconded by Alderman Conley, “that the request contained in the letter be complied with”. Carried.
3. From ratepayers in O’Connell Ward asking the Council to metal roadway Erskineville Lane. Moved by Alderman Henderson, seconded by Alderman Bedford, “that the letter be received and referred to the Committee for Works for their report “. Carried.
4. From ratepayers Islington estate asking the Council to put the streets in a passable state of repair. Moved by Alderman Goodsell, seconded by Alderman Henderson, “that the letter be received and referred to the Committee for Works for their report”. Carried.
5. From the Petersham Council further with regard to the proposed metalling of Liberty Street. Moved by Alderman Bailey, seconded by Alderman Goodsell, “that this Council agree to the work being done in accordance with the report and estimated cost by the Petersham Council and that the Clerk inform the Council that it will be impossible for the Newtown Council to pay their portion by the end of September next, but will pay one half the cost of the work as soon as they possibly can”. Carried.
Office for Pound:
Moved by Alderman Conley, seconded by Alderman Fallick, “that the Mayor be authorised to obtain everything required to complete the Pound”. Carried.
Signed W. Bailey, Mayor.
Council Chambers 28 July 1874.
Present the Mayor and Aldermen Conley, Smith, Galvin, Cozens, Bedford and Goodsell.
The minutes of previous meeting read, and confirmed on the motion of Aldermen Smith and Conley.
1. Letter from McDonald Town Council asking the co-operation of the Newtown Council to petition the Government to widen the railway bridge Erskineville Lane. Moved by Alderman Smith, seconded by Alderman Galvin, “that the letter be received and made an order of the day Choat the next Council meeting”. Carried.
2. From the Marrickville Council asking this Council to remove the culvert Edgeware Road.
3. From Mr Choat drawing the attention of Council to the state of Maria Street.
Both letters were referred to the Committee for Works for their report.
The Finance Committee brought up a report of accounts paid under votes of appropriation amounting to £97/12/4 and recommending payment of accounts amounting to £49/19/10. Moved by Alderman Conley, seconded by Alderman Smith, “that the report be received and adopted”. Carried.
Moved by Alderman Galvin, seconded by Alderman Goodsell, “that this Council will not consent to pay the cost of labour for paving the footpaths unless the material provided by the proprietor be subject to the Council’s approval”. Carried.
Signed W. Bailey, Mayor.
Month: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12