Council Chambers 21st April 1874.
Present the Mayor and Aldermen Bedford, Galvin, Henderson, Conley, Fallick, Goodsell, Cozens and Smith.
The minutes of the previous meeting were read, and confirmed on the motion of Aldermen Henderson and Cozens.
1. Letter from the Camperdown Council further with regard to the drainage from Mr Crocker’s land through Mrs Thompson’s property to Brown Street. Moved by Alderman Galvin, seconded by Alderman Goodsell, “that the Camperdown Council be invited to meet the Newtown Council for the purpose of considering what further improvements can be made respecting the drainage in question”. Carried.
2. From the Petersham Council asking the co-operation of the Newtown Council in metalling a portion of Liberty Street. Moved by Alderman Cozens, seconded by Alderman Goodsell, “that the Clerk reply and state that this Council cannot at present co-operate in metalling any portion of Liberty Street”. Carried.
3. From Mr W. Baldick asking for a reduction of arrears of rates on his property. Moved by Alderman Galvin, seconded by Alderman Smith, “that Mr Baldick’s rates be reduced nine shillings”
The motion was put, Ayes, 4; Noes, 4. The Mayor gave his casting vote with the noes. The motion therefore was lost.
Motions pursuant to notice:
1. Moved by Alderman Fallick, seconded by Alderman Smith, “that the sum of £30 be voted for Kerbing and guttering a portion of Bedford and Oxford streets as recommended by the Committee for Works”. Carried.
2. Moved by Alderman Galvin, seconded by Alderman Henderson, “that the sum of £25 be voted to purchase 200 tons of blue metal for the O’Connell Ward”. Carried.
3. Moved by Alderman Conley, seconded by Alderman Fallick, “that the sum of £25 be voted to purchase 200 tons of blue metal for Kingston Ward”. Carried.
4. Moved by Alderman Smith, seconded by Alderman Fallick, “that the sum of £50 be voted to purchase white metal, unbroken, for Kingston Ward”. Carried.
5. Moved by Alderman Goodsell, seconded by Alderman Cozens, “that a further sum of £100 be voted for repairing Enmore Road”. Carried.
In reply to Alderman Bedford, the Mayor said that the drainpipes to be laid in the O’Connell Ward should be ordered before next meeting and that the work ordered to be done in Bucknell Street would be proceeded with as soon as the work now in progress in Australia Street is completed.
Moved by Alderman Galvin, seconded by Alderman Bedford, “that the Mayor be authorised to kerb and gutter about 17 yards in Camperdown Road opposite Mr Howe’s property”. Carried.
Signed W. Bailey, Mayor.
Month: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12