Council Chambers 16th April 1872.
Present the Mayor and Aldermen Henderson, Hobbs, Cozens, Conley and Bedford.
The minutes of previous meeting read, and confirmed on the motion of Aldermen Hobbs and Henderson.
1. Letter from the Under Secretary for Finance and Trade, stating that the Government endowment amounting to £262/6/1, has been placed to the credit of the Council in the Joint Stock Bank, Sydney.
2. From the Town Clerk, Sydney, stating that in compliance with a request from this Council a public stand for five cabs has been appointed on the south side of Bedford Street, Newtown.
3. From the Council of Alexandria stating that instructions have been given to the Inspector of Nuisances to inspect and report upon the nuisance complained of by the Newtown Council at certain boiling down establishments.
4. From the Under Secretary for Lands, with tracing showing alignment of the following streets, in the Borough viz., Campbell, Crescent, O’Connell, May, Station and Camperdown Road, and that they are now in the charge of the Municipal Authorities of Newtown.
5. From Mr John Garratty asking the Council to take charge of St. John Street, Essington Estate. Moved by Alderman Hobbs, seconded by Alderman Henderson, “that the letter be received and taken into consideration at a later period of the evening”. Carried.
6. From Mr Langhorne asking the Council to take charge of Yaralla Street, on Mr Thomas Walker’s Estate, O’Connell Ward. Moved by Alderman Conley, seconded by Alderman Cozens, “that the letter be received and referred to the Committee of Works for their report.” Carried.
From the Finance Committee showing accounts paid under votes of appropriation amounting to £228/0/8, and recommending payment of accounts amounting to £27/9/4. Moved by Alderman Henderson, seconded by Alderman Hobbs, “that the report be received and adopted”. Carried.
Moved by Alderman Henderson, seconded by Alderman Hobbs, “that this Council hereby fixes and appoints Saturday the 11th day of May next as the day on which appeals against the valuation of rateable property shall be heard; and that the Council Clerk be directed to give due notice of the same as required by section 175 of the Municipalities Act of 1867.” Carried.
Moved by Alderman Conley, seconded by Alderman Henderson, “that the stone breakers be paid three shillings per ton of 24 cubic feet, for breaking the blue metal to 2 1/2 inch gauge”. Carried.
Moved by Alderman Conley, seconded by Alderman Henderson, “that the Mayor be authorised to make such arrangement as he may deem fit for completing the Kerbing and guttering on the north side of Station Street to Enmore Road”. Carried.
Order of the day:
Further consideration of Messrs Fairfax letter asking the Council to take charge of certain streets on the Islington estate.
After considerable discussion, it was moved by Alderman Conley, seconded by Alderman Bedford, “that the Committee for Works inspect the streets in question; also St. John Street and that they report thereon, before the Council decide to take charge of the same”. Carried.
The Council then rose.
Signed W. Bailey, Mayor
Month: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12