Perkins Playground

Perkins Playground – Alma Street, Darlington

Lia Perkins

In 1939 the Parks and Playgrounds movement of New South Wales made a proposal for a much needed park in Darlington. At the time this proposal fell through. Almost a decade later, in August 1948, two playgrounds were established: Perkins Playground and the T & D Boyce War Memorial Playground.

Perkins Playground was named after Darlington’s popular mayor, Alderman Morris Perkins. Perkins Playground was located on Alma Street in Darlington, near Darlington Public school and Town Hall. The property was acquired by Darlington Council (later absorbed into Sydney Council) on the 1st of October 1947. In 1970 the council sold Perkins Playground to the University of Sydney for $8000 as the University was expanding into Darlington. Today, Perkins Playground would be located in part of the Cadigal Green in the University of Sydney.

The 2002 University of Sydney Grounds conservation plan mentions an opening commemorative stone plaque located in a vegetable garden on their grounds from Perkins Park.

 

References:

“Personal” The Hebrew Standard of Australasia 12 August 1948: 3. Web. 14 Sep 2017 <http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article131100200>.

“PARK SUGGESTED.” The Sydney Morning Herald 8 March 1939: 8. Web. 14 Sep 2017 <http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article17577084>.

University of Sydney Grounds conservation plan 2002. http://sydney.edu.au/dam/corporate/documents/about-us/campuses/grounds-conservation-plan.pdf

 

PerkinsCRS 108 Alma St Darlington Perkins Playground_Page_1Perkins

City Building Surveyors Detail Sheet 14

CRS108 Parks Reserves and Playgrounds Register, Alma Street Darlington, Perkins Playground

<Back